Smoking can also make you feel more out of breath when you exercise, and make you more likely to get coughs and colds. Smoking increases the risk of getting cancer, particularly lung cancer.
Can’t smokers just stop?
Lots of people who smoke say they would like to stop. The trouble is, tobacco also contains a drug called nicotine, which is addictive: it means you want more and more.
When someone smokes, the nicotine goes into their brain and makes them feel relaxed. When they stop smoking, their brain starts to miss the nicotine and after a while they feel that they would really like to smoke again. If they don’t smoke, they feel stressed and uncomfortable, which makes it hard to stop.
Is it best not to start smoking?
Yes – there are lots of other reasons why it is best not to start smoking.
- Smoking makes your breath smell, not to mention your clothes and your fingers. Yuck!
- Smoking is really expensive. Buying a packet of cigarettes a day adds up to more than £50 a week!
- Smokers don’t have as much energy for playing games and sport
- You are not allowed to smoke in public places like shops, libraries and restaurants; if people want to smoke, they have to go outside- even if it is pouring with rain!
- Smoking at home is bad for your family and pets
- Most people don’t smoke and don’t like people smoking near them
Getting help to stop smoking
The ‘Stop Smoking Service’ is there to help people give up if they want to. If you know someone who wants to stop smoking, tell them to phone up and a special advisor will help them.