The School Nursing Service offers advice and support to children and young people aged 5-19 years, attending Hertfordshire mainstream schools, their parents/carers and professionals in the schools.
Support can be accessed in various ways including telephone contact or one-to-one and group sessions. A text messaging service, Chat Health, is also available to secondary aged pupils to confidentially get in touch with their school nurse. More information on this can be seen below.
Referral criteria to access the School Nursing Service
The following areas are all relevant and suitable topics which the School Nursing Service can help with:
- Advice, information and signposting for general health issues
- Initial advice and assessment for emotional and mental health issues including basic strategies and interventions for the following:
– Self esteem
– Self harm
- Sexual health
- Night time bedwetting (nocturnal enuresis)
- Healthy eating and weight management
- Tobacco, alcohol, drugs, substance misuse.