Should you need urgent health advice please contact your GP or call NHS 111. In an emergency please visit A&E or call 999.
Side image header

Living with an allergy Overhanging boy

An allergy is when your body has a reaction to a particular food or to something in the environment.

With a little bit of forward planning, there is no reason why an allergy should stop you doing the things you enjoy.

How are allergies treated?

How an allergy is treated depends on what is causing it, and on how your body is reacting.

Usually you just need to have a chat with your doctor who may give you some medicine. Sometimes your doctor will ask you to go and see an allergy specialist at the hospital. They will do some tests to try and find out what you are allergic to and offer you further help.

If you have food allergies, you might also need to talk to a dietitian to help you eat foods that give you all the things your body needs to be healthy.

Allergies and school

If you suffer from allergies, it’s really important that you let your teachers know, especially if you’ve had a severe reaction in the past.

If you have any medicine that you may need to take if you have a reaction, then your school should have some of the medicine.

Make sure you and your teachers know how it needs to be used, that it is labelled with your name, and that it is in date. Make sure it’s to hand at all times too, including when you go on trips.

Riddle me this!
Who might you be asked to go and see if you have food allergies?
Quiz girl
Quiz girl
Quiz girl
Nurse holding image
Remember to let all of your teachers know if you have allergies, especially if you've had severe reactions before.
Nurse holding image

Page last reviewed: 21-01-2019

Next review due: 21-01-2022