Communication is about people interacting withe each other, it's a two-way process.
Children with autism find it hard to understand how communication works.
If your child has autism, there are some techniques you can use to make communication easier for them, ensuring your child understands and can take on board what you’re trying to say.
- When communicating with your child, always use their name so they know you are talking to them
- Don’t try and say everything in one go. When you do speak, do so slowly, giving your child time to process what you’re saying
- Try to avoid asking too many questions at once, which can be confusing
- Use visual supports, such as picture cards, to break down the information, helping your child understand what you’re talking about
- Be aware of the environment you are in. If it’s too crowded or noisy, it might increase your child’s anxiety and so make it harder for them to understand what you’re saying