Should you need urgent health advice please contact your GP or call NHS 111. In an emergency please visit A&E or call 999.

Livewell Southwest is responsible for the writing, publishing and updating of the content on this page.

What happens if your child has toothache, but you are not registered with an NHS dentist?

  • Date published:

  • Author: amyr

Plymouth Community Dental Service provides dental care for children and young people who would not or cannot receive dental care from a general dentist, such as those with special needs and people with complex medical conditions.

The service also offers:

  • Treatment for those who are in pain and do not have a regular dentist
  • Wheelchair friendly access
  • Treatment under sedation
  • Paediatric dental extractions under general anaesthetic

NHS dental treatment is free for children and young people under the age of 18. We welcome referrals from dentists, GPs and other healthcare professionals.

As a parent or carer, you may also refer your child to the service.

From the age of 14, we may recommend a young person joins the NHS waiting list to ensure they are registered with a general dentist by the age of 16.

To find out if your child qualifies to use our service, or to make an appointment, contact the team by phone: 01752 434664 or email:

All appointments must be booked in advance and we do not offer a walk-in service.

From brushing their first tooth to their first trip to the dentist, here is some really helpful information about how to take care of your child’s teeth.

If you need to contact the emergency, out of hour’s service, you can call: 03330 063300 or 111.

For general queries about how to find a dentist, you can call 03330 063300 or click here.